- Who We Are
California Campus Compact is a coalition of California’s leading colleges and universities that each year invests in and champions more than 500,000 students, faculty members, administrators and community members involved in diverse and ground-breaking activities that support and expand civic and community engagement throughout California.
Founded in 1988, California Campus Compact includes among its members public, private, two-year and four-year institutions across the state and the spectrum of higher education.
Membership in California Campus Compact includes membership in national Campus Compact. The national office of Campus Compact serves as one of the primary voices of higher education in advocating for legislation and policy initiatives focused on community service, service-learning and civic engagement.
Representing Higher Education Statewide and Nationally
California Campus Compact’s reputation as a national leader in civic engagement and service-learning provides many opportunities to highlight California campuses to both statewide and national audiences. California Campus Compact regularly communicates about higher education’s commitment to public and community service with legislators, corporations, foundations, community-based organizations and media representatives.
Advancing the Civic Engagement Movement While Addressing Institutional Priorities
California Campus Compact works with members in making links between service-learning and civic engagement efforts and larger institutional priorities, such as retention of students, multicultural education, community relations and workforce development. In doing so, we not only advance the civic engagement movement, but also help address other important institutional challenges.
Investing in California Campuses through Grant Funding
Each year, California Campus Compact provides approximately $600,000 in funding to our member campuses to support new programming and initiatives, education awards, training and technical assistance and professional development for faculty, staff, administrators, community partners and students.
Collaborating across Sectors
California Campus Compact is one of only a few state-based membership organizations that intentionally include members from all sectors of higher education. To promote collaboration across sectors, we regularly facilitate convening and networking opportunities and encourage cross-campus networking and collaboration among faculty, staff and campus leaders.
Promoting Faculty and Staff Development
California Campus Compact provides a variety of professional development and technical assistance services, including on-site consultations, workshops, institutes, publications and our monthly members-only e-newsletter. These services have reached more than 5 million faculty, staff, administrators, students and community partners since 1988.
Through membership in California Campus Compact, campuses have:
• a network of 50-plus California higher education institutions willing to share successful program information
• special initiatives and partnership opportunities
• institutes and other special events
• legislative updates on issues relevant to civic engagement, service and service-learning
• the California Campus Compact resource library and publications
• a monthly members-only e-mail newsletter that includes funding, job, award and conference opportunities along with other important news and updates from the field
Funding eligibility for:
• institutional or departmental civic engagement, community service and service-learning initiatives
• travel scholarships to annual regional conferences
• special events
• specific grant programs
Technical assistance on:
• methods for institutionalizing civic engagement and service-learning;
• curriculum development;
• methods for establishing and maintaining strong, mutually beneficial community-campus partnerships
• program development; research and evaluation of the impacts of service-learning;
• liability issues and other areas
Discounted fees for: